Universal design is one of Weplay product features, which are applicable to different ages and needs. Weplay products are constructed for use not only in schools but also in hospitals, therapeutic environments, afterschool programs, and youth groups. Today, we’re going to share you a real case from early intervention center of National Taiwan University Children Hospital.
Wei-Tian Huang an occupational therapist, she has to assist 4 children with different abilities including Autism, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) and Development Delay. During an hour treatment, she designed an activity to enhance these children's interactive abilities through play. The games allowed the children to use the Weplay products in combinations and variations, allowing the products to work even if not in the traditional sense of the design. This allows for each child to experience the game and have fun with Weplay products.
To assist children to build skills in reaction, recognition, sensation and socialization while playing the game.
✎ Apply to
Children of All Abilities
4 to 6
- KT0008 Rainbow River Stones
- KC0001.1 Octagon Creative Block
- Components (from KM2000.1 Motor Skill Universal Set):
- KM2001.1 Half Brick & Brick
- KM2004.1 Pole
✎ Site layout
- Build the goals in opposite sides with Octagon Creative Blocks, Half Bricks or Bricks.
- Position Rainbow River Stones evenly between two goals, each Rainbow River Stone is distanced about one long step from each other for children.
- Position the balls evenly between Rainbow River Stones.
- Insert the pole into Half Brick, this will be used as the mallet.
✎ Team & Individual Exercise
- Team Competition: Two teams, 2 to 3 players in one team. Players need to pass the balls to each other to hit the ball into goal. Winner group is the one hits the ball into its own goal first.
- Individual Competition: Two players compete with each other. Winner is the one hits the balls into his/her own goal the most times in 3 mins.
- Each player stands on Rainbow River Stone before game starts with one stake.
- Players can only move on Rainbow River Stones during the game.
- Players can only touch the balls with the mallet.
- If there's a great gap on the following feedback between the child and his peers, please consult with the professionals.
- Challenge level could be adjusted according to the performance of children:
- Concentration: Concentration and visual development are interconnected to help children develop their recognition, faculty of memory, searching capability, imagination faculty and distance prediction ability.
- Tool Operation: Operating tools to build fine motor skills, gain precision and hands on experience.
- Logical Thinking: This includes constructing and deconstructing logic. Understanding the cause and effect of each problem and solve it through innovative thinking.
- Action Planning: Pre-planning is an important skill that is beneficial for information integration and evaluation ability.
- Social Interaction: Learn to be a team player by sharing comments openly, willingly, and communicating constructively.
- Use two different colors of balls for each group, players could hit the distinguished ball the into the goal (challenge of color recognition or selective attention).
✎ Observation Checklist